Text Size

Router - variable speed or fixed?

Router - variable speed or fixed?

Postby netlohcs » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:13 am

I plan on ordering a Blackfoot 4x8 kit soon and would like to purchase my router soon. My question is this, which is the better route - Getting a variable speed router or getting a fixed speed router and then using one of the Super-PID speed controls that I have seen talked about here? Is the Super-PID the only way to have the software control the speed of the router, or is there still a way to do it if you get a variable speed router? Sorry if thats a dumb question :)

Can't wait to get started and make mountains of sawdust! Thanks in advance for any replies :)
netlohcs

CNC Machine: None

Re: Router - variable speed or fixed?

Postby John » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:09 am

Most variable speed routers have very simple controls and won't run much slower than 10,000 rpm's. That's a no-load speed and as soon as it starts trying to cut it will be all over the place.

I say most. I did read of one unit that had a closed-circuit control, but I can't remember which one.

Definitely mountains of sawdust.

John
John

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby Bananaboat » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:48 am

Agree with John
Super PID is so cost effective that its a must IMO. as it will give you more precise control over the rpm speed and allow you to cut various materials must more nicely.
Bananaboat

Postby chef_geek » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:36 am

Just remember, if the router you get has a soft start feature, SuperPID has you crack open the case and disable it. You wouldn't lose that functionality since SuperPID can ramp up the rpms but you'll have to be comfortable opening up the router and all of the implications that come with that.
-They're not mistakes...they're features!

-The Devil is in the Details, but so is salvation.
Admiral Hyman Rickover
chef_geek

CNC Machine: BlackToe v4 2x4

Postby capnchunk » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:05 am

You don't need the Super PID to do the basics and you can add it at any point. I picked up a harbor freight tachometer that we've used to dial in speeds and it's been fairly close for a $11 purchase.
capnchunk

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Postby Awesomeness » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Bananaboat wrote:Agree with John
Super PID is so cost effective that its a must IMO. as it will give you more precise control over the rpm speed and allow you to cut various materials must more nicely.

Do you have one?
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby netlohcs » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:47 pm

So just to verify, my best bet would be to get a fixed speed router and a Super PID? Just wanted to verify, as I didn't see anyone say that specifically in a post :)
netlohcs

Postby ger21 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Is the Super-PID the only way to have the software control the speed of the router, or is there still a way to do it if you get a variable speed router? Sorry if thats a dumb question
You can buy add on speed control boards from www.cnc4pc.com , but the SuperPID is a much better choice, as it provides much better control and offers more power.

netlohcs wrote:So just to verify, my best bet would be to get a fixed speed router and a Super PID? Just wanted to verify, as I didn't see anyone say that specifically in a post :)

Depends on your budget, and which fixed speed router you're talking about. I wouldn't recommend a cheap router either with or without a Super-PID.

I have a Super-PID, and will be using one again when I build my next machine.

Here's my choice, from cheapest to most expensive.

1) Good variable speed router, like a PC 892, or similar Bosch or Makita.
2) Good variable or fixed speed router, with a Super-PID.
3) Chinese spindle with VFD
4) Name brand spindle and VFD (HSD, Colombo, etc. $$$$$)

The Chinese spindles get very favorable reviews from the majority of users, but I've seen just enough issues with them to keep me from buying one.
ger21

CNC Machine: RedFrog

Postby Bananaboat » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:19 pm

Awesomeness wrote:
Bananaboat wrote:Agree with John

Do you have one?

yea mate i do.
Bananaboat

Postby netlohcs » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:54 am

To display my Noobedness, I do not even know what a "spindle" is, and how it differs from a standard router. I'm guessing its more of a purpose-built implement designed specifically for the task?

As far as budget, this is a "work expense" and as such, I will be spending as much as i need to get the best result (within SOME reason of course). I think it would be silly to drop 3K on the machine and then decide to skimp out on the actual cutting device, seeing as absolutely every other single piece of the puzzle is there to make the cutting device operate :) (kinda like tires on a car)

What would the "best" router be to buy?
What would the "best" spindle be to buy? and how much would said spindle cost?
netlohcs

Next

Return to DIY