Text Size

What do you think about Aspire from Vetric?

Postby larry1592 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:43 am

I am new to CNC and must say that I am anxious to read : Build Your Own CNC Machine by Patrick Hood-Daniel, James Floyd Kelly. I have been researching software and have come across the ASPIRE software from Vetric. What do you guys think about this software?

Larry Burgess

larry1592

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Postby PHoodDaniel » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:28 pm

It's one of the best software titles out there for CAM. I would also recommend this software for the fledgling CNCers since it steps through the process of creating the toolpaths using images and easy to understand illustrations.

PHoodDaniel

Postby Awesomeness » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:18 pm

$2000! Ouch! Seems a bit of a mismatch to be considering buying $2000 toolpath software, and wanting to read a book about building your own $800-budget CNC machine.

Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby larry1592 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:59 pm

I thought so too. What machine would you recommend?

larry1592

Postby Awesomeness » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:57 am

So you want to buy a more expensive machine to match the expensive software? Buy a ShopBot then, I suppose. They are about $8000-30000. http://www.shopbottools.com

Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby larry1592 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:06 am

I think the black Toe will be just fine. Thanks .

larry1592

Postby PHoodDaniel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:49 pm

One thing to remember with the Aspire software is that, for the efficiency in the cutting of various styles of lettering and creating pockets and bevels, the tool will need to be changed. Consider this when evaluating the machine of your need. If you are a professional sign maker, you will want to have a very good way to zero the tool so tool changes are exact and bring you back to where you need to be.

The blackToe along with other machines would be fine for this software.

A word about cost of software versus hardware/machine. As a programmer, in my earlier years, custom software would cost many thousands of dollars over their hardware counterparts. I made a living on one piece of software. With commercial software, AutoCAD costs about $3000+ and it is typically used on a $1000 computer. Specialized software for CNC machines is another justification for high cost due to the industry and market size. Aspire is specialized and is used to bring in revenue.

I am selling my machines at its current price point to differ some of the cost of making the table. Some people actually tell me that they need to justify the cost of the machine at the $3000 mark.

Remember, in software or hardware, most of the cost is in the design and development of the product, and the after sale quality assurance and support of the product. My machines are low cost as I am able to reduce the support portion to the information on the website and users like you that provide some of the help to others. I wouldn't want potential customers to evaluate on cost alone.

PHoodDaniel

Postby bobathgc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:54 am

Total Nube here.

This thread has been very helpful. I have been looking at the Blue Chick for starters and hopefully move to a full scale version like the Black Toe 4x8. As mentioned in this thread, Aspire would work well with the BlackToe, would it work with the Blue Chick as well?

Until now, my engraving has been limited to a Gravograph/ New Hermes with the proprietary software. This is a nice package and is very easy to use the software.

After messing with LazyCam, and trying to get a jpeg into it, Aspire looks pretty welcoming with the ability to import AI and EPS files.

I guess the next question is...does aspire drive the machine? or do you export the file from aspire to Mach3 or equivalent?

Thanks,

Bob

bobathgc

Postby larry1592 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:09 pm

Hey Bob,

I am also new to the CNC arena. I did buy the Aspire Software and as Mr. Kimble pointed out it is quite expensive. From what I understand from learning the software, your tools, tool paths, and many more features can be programmed into the run, however, I understand that you have to down load it into Mach 3 or some other types of software that will run the G code. Hope this helps.

Larry

larry1592

Postby bobathgc » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Hey Larry,

I downloaded a trial version of VCarve from Aspire and created a project and added a logo PDF to it without a problem.

Vcarve is $600 versus the $2000 for the Aspire software. It seems that the major difference is the 3D capabilities and some bells & whistles included with the Aspire version. VCarve seems more than enough for me at this point.

I was able to send my drawing to Mach3 without a problem, and see the virtual toolpath of my project. Unfortunately, Mach3 doesn’t support tool changes, at least with the trial version. Does the retail version? Not a deal breaker for me, but it would be nice not to have to send each cut individually from Vcarve to Mach3 to be machined.

I’m sure there is another option out there with a $$$ next to it. But, for what I am doing right now it is not too much of a hassle to send the cuts one at a time.

In summary, I know I can do this now and most of the questions have been answered or solved.

Next up….purchasing a kit, assembling it and figuring out how to wire it correctly and set up Mach3 for real.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful posts.

Bob

bobathgc

Return to CAD/CAM/Control Software