Text Size

How difficult is your z-axis lead screw to turn?

Official support for products purchased from the BuildYourTools.com and BuildYourCNC.com sites, and the book "Build Your Own CNC Machine (Technology in Action)" by Patrick Hood-Daniel and James Floyd Kelly.

Re: How difficult is your z-axis lead screw to turn?

Postby denmark219 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:15 pm

axial schmaxial...... ;)

I always get those mixed up.
denmark219

CNC Machine: GreenBull

Postby Kyle Stewart » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:46 pm

Question and possible answer depending on the level of my bone-headedness:
New guy here but I wanted to give my 2 cents for future builders that are building the new 4.2? blacktoe. The bearings for the Z axis screw didn't fit into their pockets. I am not talking about it being a tight fit, I am talking about at least .25 inches of material still needed to be removed. I was an idiot and didn't remove the material evenly. Due to my lack of skills, my bearing's axis were not centered on the Z screw's axis hole in the board and was probably canted. Since I butchered it on both the top and bottom, the fit was extremely tight and I was putting lateral forces on the bearing and screw. I could not turn the z axis easily.
Possible solution and here is my question...I didn't have a forstner bit that matched the outside diameter so I made it oversized by about .25 inches. I figured that these bearings are not going to affect the resolution. That is what the rails are for. The backlash screw is holding the screw in the right position and the Z axis motor is also. I went ahead and wrapped the outside of the bearings with double sided foam sticky tape. It is now a perfect fit with no lateral movement. I can now turn the z axis with no problems. Did I just mess up the bearing holder boards and need to make new ones or should my solution be ok?
Kyle Stewart

CNC Machine: BlackToe v4 2x4

Postby ShenValleyCNC » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:48 pm

I would suggest that you make new pieces. The tape may last and it may not. It depends on the stresses it receives. Nearly all parts on a machine need to be replaced at some point. Make the new pieces now while your machine has the resolution(it may go away along with the tape) and you are still retaining knowledge of what needs to be done.

Hint, you have admitted to having a duct-taped cnc machine! :o :lol:
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law
Hofstadter's Law
ShenValleyCNC

CNC Machine: Custom

Previous

Return to Product Support (Build Your Tools / Build Your CNC)