Text Size

some blackthooth questions

Official support for products purchased from the BuildYourTools.com and BuildYourCNC.com sites, and the book "Build Your Own CNC Machine (Technology in Action)" by Patrick Hood-Daniel and James Floyd Kelly.

Re: some blackthooth questions

Postby 3d0g » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:05 pm

No, all my linux CNC and CamBam settings are in the FAQ thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3452
3d0g

CNC Machine: BlackTooth

Postby evermorian » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:49 am

Nonessential’s issue in this thread seems to be exactly the thing that I ran into: for each cut, the laser turns on, burns a hole in the paper, moves along the vector, stops, burns a hole in the paper, turns off.

I have a Blacktooth built by the BYCNC team. So, I am pretty sure this is not a hardware issue.

I tried Muk’s settings to no avail (though, I am considering making another pass).

I exchanged email with BYCNC support about it and, they referred me to this:

http://blacktoothlaser.blogspot.com/201 ... f-and.html

… which I am pretty sure is a safety switch and, unrelated to this issue.

Nonessentials, did you or anyone else ever make headway with this?

This has been so frustrating that my machine has been gathering dust for months now. I just really haven’t been able to get the Blacktooth to do anything useful for me.

It *almost* cuts paper, except for the “dots” issue. Cutting paper was the main thing I was looking to do with it.

I got it to cut an almost circular, badly-charred hole through an 1/8” thick piece of wood. I am considering getting an air compressor to improve the air assist and see if that will help.

It seems like no one else is running a stock Blacktooth. Best I can tell, everyone rapidly hits a point where it doesn’t do what they need it to do and, upgrades to a DSP or, makes other major hardware changes.

The BYCNC folks have suggested that my best bet is to get PPI and duty cycle working (which apparently also involves hardware changes: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3452&hilit=PPI&start=10#p18157 ).

I just want to cut stuff and, am not particularly gung-ho to spend a lot of time hacking my cutter.

Suggestions?
evermorian

Postby nonessentials » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:01 am

hey evermorian,

i know just how frustrated you must be.
i was trying to solve this issue and got really anoyed because there was no solution for it.

in the end i bought a LightObject DSP ( $385 ) and everything works perfectly and smooth since then (works like a desktop printer now).
i think the buildyourtools team really should include one of these into their kits from the beginning.

in this thread you can read a little more about the DSP
http://buildyourtools.com/phpBB3/viewto ... =12&t=4011

good luck & best regards
jonas
nonessentials

Postby evermorian » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:32 am

Thank you, jonas.

It looks like a DSP is in my future.

Crossing my fingers that I'll be able to get it installed.

Andrew
evermorian

Postby nonessentials » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:22 pm

i wish you good luck,

if you have problems installing it, i can send you photos or info.

best regards
nonessentials

Postby AnthonyTVA » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:36 pm

nonessentials -

Way back when you originally posed these questions, 3d0g suggested increasing Z-velocity and Z-acceleration to maximum. In your response you did not say whether you did. Your original Z-velocity was 500 and Z-acceleration was 50. The configurations I have looked through suggest a Z-velocity of 2000 and Z-acceleration of 200000.

Can you remember if you tried modifying Z-velocity and Z-acceleration?
AnthonyTVA

Postby nonessentials » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:42 pm

hey anthony

as you can read a vew posts before i gave up on this issue and bought a lightobject dsp controller..
it cost about 500$ but was at least for me the best possible decission!

wishing you good luck
jonas
nonessentials

Previous

Return to Product Support (Build Your Tools / Build Your CNC)