Text Size

Proximity Limit Switch

Official support for products purchased from the BuildYourTools.com and BuildYourCNC.com sites, and the book "Build Your Own CNC Machine (Technology in Action)" by Patrick Hood-Daniel and James Floyd Kelly.

Proximity Limit Switch

Postby FEmerson » Wed May 30, 2012 2:33 am

I am replacing the electronics in a Thermwood CNC wood router. I am considering using the original proximity limit switches. What are the relative merits of proximity switches vs. contact switches? These proximity switches have three leads, blue, black, and brown wires. From what I can find on the I'net, it looks like the blue lead should be DC-, the brown DC+, but I don't know what to do with the black. The location of these switches would make them appropriate for 0 in X and Y, 6" in Z (maximum travel in Z is 6"). Will these switches operate correctly at the 5v level from the BOB? Anything else I need to know? Thanks!
FEmerson

CNC Machine: BlackTooth

Re: Proximity Limit Switch

Postby woodchucker1 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:38 am

You may want to try the CNCZone forum. They deal more with Professional machines.
woodchucker1

CNC Machine: RedFrog

Re: Proximity Limit Switch

Postby ricochet » Wed May 30, 2012 10:02 am

First, You need to find out "what the prox switches are" Are they NPN or PNP. What is there normal operating voltage. Most switches work at 10 - 24 volt DC. Your color codes are correct. the Black lead is you switch lead. It will return DC- (NPN) or DC+ (PNP) That will be your return (input signal) to your your control. 1f you run the switch on 10 - 24 volts that is what will be sent to the BoB. You need to run it through an Opto / Isolator.
This will allow and isolate the use of the higher voltage and protect your PC port.
If you have a higher end BoB, you might have the isolation built in. BE SURE OF WHAT YOU HAVE! or you will let the smoke out of your motherboard. :shock:
http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-105
I hope this helps! If you need more info just let me know. Or Contact http://www.pmdx.com
ricochet

CNC Machine: BlackTooth

Return to Product Support (Build Your Tools / Build Your CNC)